SHRM is trying to help the HR business sector recover. http://conduuit.com/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Conduuit.com can get you the professional contingent consultants to get your IT infrastructure back up and running with fully vetted highly-qualified pros. No fees for any number of posts and you can contract to hire with no restrictions! Start now here:
The http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Harvey" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">National Hurricane Center warned Texas residents and businesses that it expects Hurricane Harvey to become a major hurricane before it reaches the middle Texas coastline sometime late Friday evening.
As employees worry about protecting their families and homes, business leaders must also protect their assets—which, of course, include their workers.
· https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/hr-topics/risk-management/Pages/workplace-weather-disasters.aspx" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Workplace Weather Disaster Resources
· https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/1116/Pages/communicating-with-employees-during-a-crisis.aspx" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Communicating with Workers During a Crisis
· https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/hr-topics/benefits/Pages/Employee-Leave-Natural-Disasters.aspx" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Leave Eligibility and Natural Disasters
Here is a list of SHRM https://www.shrm.org/search/pages/default.aspx?topic=Emergency%20Response">Emergency Response resources (some member-protected) to help HR professionals guide their businesses and employees through preparing and recovering from natural disasters. Articles answer questions such as https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/compensation/pages/disasters.aspx" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">how to pay employees during emergency situations (see this https://blog.shrm.org/blog/houston-employers-wage-hour-guidance-and-hurricane-harvey">entry in the SHRM blog, too), keep employees safe and protect business assets.
[SHRM members-only platform: https://community.shrm.org/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=39980f34-b1c9-4053-a4a7-72bed506f2b1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Disaster Prep & Recovery on SHRM Connect]
A checklist from law firm Ogletree Deakins details https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/benefits/pages/hurricane-matthew-checklist.aspx" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">what employers need to do to get ready when a hurricane is in the forecast.
It's important to remember that https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/book-blog/pages/how-to-communicate-with-employees-when-a-crisis-hits.aspx">meeting the needs of employees during a disaster is a monumental task, and learning https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/1116/Pages/communicating-with-employees-during-a-crisis.aspx">how to communicate with employees during a crisis is important for every employer.
These government resources for responding to disaster can help employers get back to business once authorities have announced it is safe to do so:
- http://www.disasterassistance.gov/">Disaster Assistance.gov. Details the kinds of assistance available and reduces the number of forms to file to receive assistance.
- https://www.fema.gov/emergency-management-agencies" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">State Offices and Agencies of Emergency Management. Direct contact information for emergency management offices in your state.
- http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108362,00.html" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Tax Relief in Disaster Situations--IRS.gov. The latest information on which localities can apply for tax relief following a disaster in their area.
- http://www.redcross.org/">Redcross.org. Has a "safe and well" list where employees can let family, supervisors and co-workers know where they are.
- http://www.osha.gov/dts/weather/flood/index.html">Flood Recovery. Visit this OSHA.gov page for flood preparedness and response advice.
- Hurricane Preparedness. Visit this OSHA.gov page for hurricane preparedness and response advice.